Saturday, October 07, 2006

Moonlight Party

... is an international event jointly organized every year by SIFA and SAME. In Japanese, they called this event as "KOKUSAI OTSUKIMI" (International Moon Viewing). Moon viewing is one of Japanese refined tradition. They celebrate the autumnal moon on harvest season. They decorate some Japanese pampas grass and moon viewing dumplings or TSUKIMI DANGO. This was originated from China during Heian period (794-1185).
Belinda in front of the pampas grass and dumplings
Almost every year... Ito san, SAME staff was trying to assign me as one of the interpreter of the event. She had to becoz I am also working at SAME as one of their foreigner staff. However, due to some conflict with my sched... I always refused her favor. This year, Ito san asked me again... hmmm, I can't say no this time... I must do something to please her favor... well... I made no excuse this time... I finally accepted the assignment and in exchange... I cancelled my other commitments.
I was new to this event and I am also curious what this is all about...
Well, the event was held yesterday night, October 6 at Zensouji Temple in Shimizu. It's about 170 years old temple and one of the famous in Shimizu. I worked together with my co-foreigner staff, Dani-- an Indonesian, Sai --a Chinese and Eliza-- a Brazilian as an interpreter.
I invited my niece, Belinda to come with me since I thought this event will gonna be a good chance to learn and understand Japanese cultures.
Unfortunately, it was raining... there was no chance to view the autumn moon. I joked Belinda to just be content to all the bald folks she sees around! Anyway, they were all shining brightly!lol!
The temple obosan (monk) message was quite remarkable. In buddisht belief... when someone died... he become Buddha... but we should not be concern about it, the obosan said... instead, we need to be and we must be good fellows while we are still alive and kicking!
Inspite of the rain, the event was still well attended. I was asked to interpret in English although I prefer Tagalog coz it's my native language. But come to think of it... the Pinoy present in the event was only me and Belinda. The other foreigners are from Brazil, Indonesia, Taiwan, America... hmmm, I guess I didn't miss someone... and the rest are Japanese.
After the speeches of vips, the cultural show of Indonesian students and trainees followed... and then we had interchanged with the guess while having our dinner.
Afterwards... after receiving all the omiage foods and drinks from SIFA staffs... Belinda and I rushed back by train to Shizuoka City coz we had to meet uncle Jo and Liza with Tabby. Then we all proceeded to "Heartbeat" for a meeting with Ikuta san and Abet about their coming up Charity Concerts. They introduced to us their newly arrived talents from Focus. Wow... there are more than 30 talents. From dancers, singers, staffs... known and amateurs...
We ended up thru a deal that Philippine NAKAMA will support their coming up Charity Concerts... however, we requested that our group will only cooperate to those concerts to be held here in Shizuoka City.
Ahhhhhhhh... what a day!

No comments:

Post a Comment